First impressions matter!
According to the National Association of Realtors, the average home buyer will look at 10 homes before making an offer. When a potential homebuyer walks in to your home, how will your home make a positive and lasting impression?
Most buyers are looking for a move-in ready home that appears to be well maintained, with ample storage, and it’s the little things they notice when assessing the over-all condition.
Make sure you inspect your home through the eyes of these potential buyers, then fix the most obvious items. Take inventory of all repairs and get to work.
- Make sure all door hardware is in working order and replace if necessary.
- Do all windows open easily and have a secure window lock?
- Reglaze bathtubs if needed. This is a very easy, inexpensive but important fix.
- Make sure caulking is clean and applied well in bathrooms and kitchen.
- Repair any cracks in ceilings and walls.
- Fill in any holes left by picture hangers and wall art.
- Touch up painting in all rooms.
- Replace shower head with a new, clean one.
- Repair any leaking faucets or supply valves.
- Make sure all outlets and light switches are working.
- Replace old, dirty and paint covered electrical covers with new ones.
- Put the correct bulbs in light fixtures and make sure there are no bulbs burned out.
- Buyers are looking for neutral colors, so if there are boldly colored rooms, repainting in neutral tones will be helpful.
Cleaning and Decluttering
- Remove clutter. Picture frames, accessories, files, books, small appliances should be removed from counters.
- Scrub all surfaces.
- Make sure your home is free of all smells including animals, food, cigarette smoke, etc.
- Clean all baseboards.
- Clean all light fixtures and ceiling fans.
- Clean windows and sills inside and out.
- Clean all closets and keep them tidy and clean.
- Have carpets professionally cleaned and/or replaced if necessary.
- Hardwood floors should be mopped and oiled.
- Dust blinds.
- Replace old, moldy shower curtains.
- Remove grease and grime from kitchen cabinets and appliances.
- Make sure cupboards and drawers are wiped out and clutter free.
- Make sure garage can house cars not boxes and junk.
Enlisting a reputable Realtor will insure that your home is in tip top shape to sell. Your local Realtor knows what homebuyers in your area are looking for!